I have a high need for encouragement – at home, in my service at church, and at work. I find if I’m not reminded of the goal and affirmed in my efforts than I get discouraged pretty easily. Yes, I’m needy. Fortunately, God knows this about me and He has a plan to help me.I take inspiration from Joshua 4 – which chronicles the Israelites’ crossing of the Jordan River. In it, Joshua commands leaders of the twelve tribes, “Go over before the ark of the LORD your God into the middle of the Jordan. Each of you is to take up a stone on his shoulder, according to the number of the tribes of the Israelites, to serve as a sign among you.”
This sign would be a reminder of God’s faithfulness to them and to their children. If I were passing those actual stones, it would be both a reminder of God’s faithfulness and an encouragement to me to keep pressing on. And so, I have modern day stones placed along the shelf above my desk. Here they are:
- Water bottle from the Run2Relay - an encouragement to keep running and treat well the temple God has given me.
- AT Systems CD-ROM – One of Fishhook’s first corporate projects - a constant reminder of God’s faithfulness and provision. (It put food on the table when I didn’t know how we’d eat.)
- Play Doh® rainbow and pot ‘o gold– this was created by Janie Mehaffey right before she moved to Florida. Janie was one of the first Fishhookers and had huge impact on early Fishhook – and many of our practices and thinking are rooted with Janie’s influence.
- The Velvet Brick Award – This was given to me by my friends at Kingsway Christian Church as an encouragement to continue to speak the truth in love as I lead.
- Crossroads Christian Church – This is the image from Fishhook’s very first church project. It reminds me that God has given us a simple business plan: “Pray for work. Pray for help.” This is the fruition of both. Thanks to Todd Adkins of Born to Design for his work on this and many Fishhook projects.
- Fishbowl of Stones – Lindsay’s gift to me – it is literally a Fishbowl full of stones. Each one features a year on it. These mark the years that Fishhook has been Fishhook. It’s time to find a stone and write 2012. And I will be encouraged by God’s faithfulness.
And you? How do you remind yourself of God’s faithfulness? And, how do you stay encouraged?